We had a large group of 28 people at our Friday morning meeting. Brent Ruru was Toastmaster and the theme was:
“If time and money were no object, what would you do with your life?”
Brent regaled us with some fantastic quotes throughout the morning:
– “Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries”
– “People spend money they don’t have, on things they don’t need, to impress people they don’t like”
– Making money isn’t hard in itself. What is hard is doing so while doing something worthwhile”
Speaker 1 was Nathan Najib with his icebreaker speech entitled “Who is Nathan Najib?”
Nathan told us about his life in Kabul and moving to Pakistan and then NZ. We were very privileged that he shared his life values with us and added to the quotes for the day with “you become who you associate with”. This was a confident and engaging first speech from Nathan.
Second speaker was Rodney Ford with his speech “Gluten: Is it worth the risk”
Rodney spoke about his research and work in the field of Gluten Syndrome. It was a highly informative speech, which got people thinking about what they eat and how this affects their bodies.
Third up was Colin Clapp “Why working on your business is NOT a good idea”
Colin was working from an Advanced Communicator manual, and his speech was videoed. Colin spoke about working out an exit plan, working out a compelling values proposition, and working out efficient and effective systems. This speech was informative and gave foodÂ for thought for anyone running their own business.
Helen McLeod was Table Topics Master, and she followed the theme of the day in her questions. Each topic was prefaced with the question “if time and money were no object, tell us about…
– Your favourite aunt…John Kelly
– Â Rock Climbing…Dennis McGrath
– The first time meeting a celebrity…Claire Ruru
– Going back in time to give advice to your 10 year old self…Tina Mackie
– Is asbestos a problem in Chch?…Esther Newman
– Your best holiday…Alana Bogart
– Frosty Mornings…Danny (guest)